Why Buy on LBI? Not just a good COVID-19 purchase, a good anytime purchase!Not only does LBI offer an assortment of towns that I have not seen in other beach areas per se (check out my website to
6 ESSENTIAL FALL MAINTENANCE TASKS
Dated: October 14 2019
With autumn upon us, now is the perfect time for homeowners to get their property in shape and help avoid problems in the months ahead. Here are six key jobs to tackle before cold weather sets in.
1) Caulk around exterior door and window frames for a tight seal. Look for gaps where pipes or wiring enter the home and caulk those as well. Not only does heat escape from these openings, but water can enter and damage underlying materials, and even cause structural damage.
2) Check the roof for missing or damaged shingles. Water, wind, ice and snow can cause serious damage to a vulnerable roof, leading to a greater chance of further damage inside the home. Always have a qualified professional inspect and repair the roof, but binoculars can be used to do a preliminary survey from the ground.
3) Clear gutters of leaves, sticks, and other debris. If the home gets heavy leaf fall, this may need to be done more than once during the season. If the gutters can accommodate them, leaf guards can be real time-savers and prevent clogging. Check the joints between sections of the gutter, as well as between the gutter and downspouts, and make any necessary adjustments or repairs. Make sure downspouts direct water away from the house.
4) Garden hoses should be drained and stored indoors to protect them from the harsh winter elements. Shut off outdoor faucets and make sure exterior pipes are drained of water. Faucets and pipes can easily freeze and burst, causing leaks and increasing the potential for serious water damage.
5) Have the furnace inspected to ensure that it’s safe and in good working order. Most utility companies will provide basic, no-cost furnace inspections to their customers, but schedule early as there can often be a long waiting list as the weather cools down. Replace disposable furnace air filters or clean the permanent type according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Using a clean filter not only helps with interior air quality, it will help the furnace run more efficiently, saving money and energy.
6) A wood-burning fireplace can be a real pleasure on a chilly fall evening. For safety, have the firebox and chimney professionally cleaned before use this season. Creosote, a byproduct of wood burning, can build up to dangerous levels and cause a chimney fire that can spread to the rest of the house.
With these easy steps, your will enjoy the comforts of home all season long and know that they’re protecting their investment, too.
ABR, CRS, E-Pro, RSPS, SFR, SRES Jim is a “Jersey boy” originally from north Jersey in the Totowa, Little Falls area. He made the move to Stafford about 32 years ago, after finding the perfect....
Latest Blog Posts
I SOME HOW FIND THE CHANGE OF THE SEASONS VERY INTERESTING AND NECESSARY; YOU KNOW LIKE WE WOULD ALL LIKE TO BE IN FLORIDA IN THE WINTER TIME BUT WOULDN'T YOU MISS THE FALL LEAVES, THE BEAUTIFUL
Coronavirus and Long Beach Island Real Estate Listing AgentsThree Reasons to Sell with an LBI Real Estate Agent During COVID Click here to search all homes for sale in the Long Beach Island NJ real