Check it out! The beach is being totally redone and will be waiting for you this summer!#lbibeachreplenishment #lbiregion #lbifindyourspot #beachtime
Pancakes Passports and March Madness on LBI
Tuesday, February 21st
- Adult Writers Group: 1pm-3pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City. Call to register 609-494-2480 or visit www.theoceancountylibrary.com. All are welcome.
- Storytime and Craft: 3:45pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Registration required. Activity for children of all ages.
- Annual Pancake Supper: 5pm to 6:30pm at Holy Innocents' Church Martin Hall, Amber Street, Beach Haven, NJ. Adults $6 Children (under 10) $3. Public welcome and bring your friends. Phone 609- 492-7571.
- Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper & Mardi Gras Celebration: 5:00pm-7pm at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 5800 Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach (609) 494-6888. Adults: $6; Age 5-12: $3; Pre-school: $1
- Fat Tuesday Pancake Dinner: 5:30pm-6:30pm at Zion Lutheran Church, 18th Street & Central Avenue, Barnegat Light. Free will donation.
- Fat Tuesday-Mardi Gras Celebration CANCELLED: St. Francis Community Center, 47th St. & Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach. 609-494-8861 or www.stfranciscenterlbi.com.
Wednesday, February 22nd
- Book Discussion: 2pm at Beach Haven Library, 3rd St. & Beach Ave. (609-492-7081). The subject is Caleb¹s Crossing by Geraldine Brooks.
- Teen Advisory Board: 6pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). A fun was to participate in the library while earning community service hours. Plan programs and events while making new friends. New members welcome ? Kids in grades 7-12 are invited to come make suggestions for programs, events and more!
- Gaming Club: 7pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Come in and get your game on with board games, cards and Wii games. Ages 10+. Drop in.
Thursday, February 23rd
- Boxes & Bubbles: 10:30am at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Stories, boxes and bubble fun for babies and toddlers. Registration required.
Friday, February 24th
- County Connection Mobile Service: 10am to 4pm at Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City (609-494-2480) Services incl. county IDs, passports, senior services, veterans services, consumer affairs, voter registration and parks & tourism information.
- Southern Regional Cheerleading Benefit: 7pm-10pm at Nardi¹s Tavern, 11801 Long Beach Blvd., Haven Beach. Entertainment by Rock Lobsters, Gift Auction. Tickets $25 ? 3 hours of beer, wine & appetizers. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 609-597-9481 x 2114.
Saturday February 25th
- Benefit for John Kelly: 5pm at High Point Firehouse, West 80th St., Harvey Cedars. UPS driver, John Kelly¹s home sustained extensive damage from a fire in December. $20 donation includes food, beverages, DJ entertainment & prizes. Call for ticket details or to make a donation 856-220-3656 or 609-361-1044.
- Adult Night Out: 7pm at Surflight Theatre, Engleside & Beach Aves., Beach Haven. Our Gang Players hosts ªA Night of Illusion with the Fabulous Fakes, a troupe of female impersonators. Tickets $25 includes an intermission of hors d¹oeuvres and wine. Purchase at www.ourgang.org or call 609-597-0553.
- Science Saturday Lecture Series: Free, interactive lectures which tackle todays¹ most pressing and interesting environmental and sustainability issues. 11:00 am to 12 noon at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences main building, 120 Long Beach Blvd., Loveladies, NJ. This program is on the Rutgers University Marine Field Station. Call for information and registration 609-494-1241.
Monday, February 27th
- Monday Night Movie: ªGhosts of Mississippiº 6 at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City. The film is rated PG-13. Call to register 609-494-2480 or visit theoceancountylibrary.org.
Tuesday, February 28th
- Arctic Drop In: 3:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). This activity is for children of all ages.
Wednesday, February 29th
- Nurturing Imagination through Stories: 6:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Adults are invited to bring their children and grandchildren to learn how to create a lasting connection with them through reading. Call to register or visit www.theoceancoiuntylibrary.org.
Saturday March 3rd
- March Madness Foul Shooting Contest For All Ages: 9am St. Francis Center Gymnasium, 47th St. & Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach. 609-494-8861 ext. 105. Contest for Grades K-12 and Adults. Registration is required and open until the morning of the event; forms available at the front desk or online at www.stfranciscenterlbi.org.
- ªCelebrate Irish Arts Festivalº: 11am to 4pm at the Maris Stella Conference Center, Harvey Cedars. Amergael, in association with the Long Beach Island branch of the Ocean County Library, will host this event which will feature entertainment by local and regional singers, dancers and speakers, as well as artwork by local artists. Admission and refreshments are free. More info at www.amergael.org.
- Science Saturday Lecture Series: Free, interactive lectures which tackle todays¹ most pressing and interesting environmental and sustainability issues. 11:00 am to 12 noon at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences main building, 120 Long Beach Blvd., Loveladies, NJ. Refuge Manager Virginia Rettig will give us an overview of the Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, focusing on the activities and areas available for public use. She will also provide information regarding bird use of the refuge¹s beach areas at Holgate and Little Beach Island. Call for information and registration 609-494-1241.
- Barnegat Lighthouse Lecture Series: Barnegat Lighthouse State Park, Visitors Center, Barnegat Light, 609-494-2016. The program is ªThe Great Monarch Butterfly Race for the Borderº.
- Forsythe Refuge Program: 1:30pm at NJ Museum of Maritime History, 528 Dock Rd., Beach Haven. Virginia Rettig will give an overview of the Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge. Admission free, donation appreciated. Call for information and registration (609) 492-0202.
ONGOING PROGRAMS, EVENTS
- Barnegat Lighthouse is Open: The #2 tourism destination in the State Of New Jersey is open on weekends!
- Watercolor Drop-ins for Seniors: Second and fourth Tuesdays, Feb. 14 through April. 9:30am-12:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Practice your watercolor skills with expert support on hand. Call to register 609-494-2480 or visit theoceancountylibrary.org.
- Bike Registration Program: to reduce bicycle theft and expedite return of stolen bikes, LBI police departments have started a free program for visitors and residents to register bikes. Call for Information: Beach Haven 492-0505; Harvey Cedars 494-3036; Long Beach Township & Barnegat Light 494-3322; Ship Bottom 494-1518 and at Walters Bicycles during business hours; Surf City 494-8121
- Income Tax Return Assistance: Feb. 1-April 15: St. Francis Center in Brant Beach. 11am-3pm, by appt. only; call 609-494-8861
- ªScience Saturdaysº: For the sixth consecutive winter, the Long Beach Island Foundation of the Arts and Sciences (LBIF) will host free, interactive lectures, which tackle today¹s most pressing and interesting environmental and sustainability issues. Saturdays from Feb. 11th through April 7th, from 11:00 am to 12 noon at the LBIF¹s main building in Loveladies.
- The St. Francis Guild invites all interested in knitting, crochet, quilting, and/or other crafts to participate. Meets Wednesdays from 10am-2pm at the St. Francis Center in Brant Beach. Call Lenore Kane at 609-494-7330 for more information. New Members welcome!!
- Book Discussions: Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City (609-494-2480). 2nd Wed. of each month @ 7:30pm. Check at the circulation desk for current title.
- Fiction Writers Group: Forming in Beach Haven: Meets 2 Thursdays per month from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Call Debi for more information 856-912-1369.
- LBI Woodcarvers Association: Meets 2nd Wednesday of every month at 7:30pm. Call 609-296-5606 for location.
- Classes & Activities Offered: LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences. Classes vary from learning new languages to art mediums and sports lessons. Call 609-494-1241 for more information and registration.
- Surflight Theatre Arts Resource Schools (STARS): 2012 Winter Schedule Runs Jan. 23 - Mar. 16 (8 Weeks) STARS is pleased to bring professional Musical Theatre Training to the Jersey Shore. Classes are taught by professionals from the Surflight Company at the Theatre located at Beach and Engleside Avenues in Beach Haven. PreK - 12th grade. Classes offered include Creative Dynamics, Acting I and II, Happy Feet, Musical Theatre Dance. More information can be found at http://www.surflight.org/STARS.htm.
HEALTH & LIVING WELL ON LBI
- LBI Health Department
- Flu Shots: Offered by Appointment, please call 609-492-1212.
- Shingles Vaccine: Please call 609-492-1212 to speak with a public health nurse to make an appointment or for more information.
- Child & Adolescent Health Programs: Physical exams and immunizations are available for infants and children through age 18 at the LBI Health Department. Call 609-492-1212.
- Adult Health Promotion: LBI Health Department provides blood pressure screening plus health education on diet, medication and risk factors for diabetes, cardiovascular disease and breast, cervical & colon/rectal cancer.
- Beach Haven Borough Hall (492-0111) 10am-11am on the 1st Monday of each month
- Island Branch Ocean County Library, Surf City (494-3064) 11am-12pm on the 1st Tuesday of each month
- Harvey Cedars Police Dept. (494-2843) 9:30am-10:30am on the 3rd Tuesday of each month
- Barnegat Light Borough Hall (494-9196) 11am-12pm on the 3rd Tuesday of each month
- LBI Health Dept. (361-1000 or 492-1212) 10am-11am on the 2nd & 4th Wednesday of each month
- St. Francis Senior Services: Outreach workers are available to assist with a variety of senior needs. Call 609-294-1197 for more information.
WORSHIP ON LBI
- Grace Calvary Church in Ship Bottom - 609-494-7777
- Holy Innocents' Episcopal Church in Beach Haven - 609-492-7571 or 609-492-2108
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Brant Beach - 609-494-6888
- Island Baptist Church in Beach Haven - 609-492-7584
- Jewish Community Center of Long Beach Island - 609-492-4090 Please Note: JCC Shabbat Services are Friday evening at 7:30 PM at St. Thomas of Villanova Church in Surf City while the New Synagogue is being built.
- Kynett United Methodist Church of Beach Haven - 609-492-0421
- St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Brant Beach - 609-494-8813
- St. Peter's at the Light Episcopal Church in Barnegat Light - 609-494-2398
- Terrace United Methodist Church in Beach Haven Terrace - 609-492-9843
- Friday March 2 World Day of Prayer 1pm The theme is ªLet Justice Prevailº
- Zion Lutheran Church in Barnegat Light - 609-494-8676
- Fat Tuesday Pancake Dinner, Feb. 21st 5:30pm-6:30pm. Free will donation.
- Ash Wednesday Worship Service, Feb. 22nd at 7pm
- Lenten Prayer and Soup Dinners: Wednesdays in Lent beginning February 29th at 5:30pm.
WEEKLY ENTERTAINMENT & PERFORMANCES
- Bayberry Inn: (609-494-8848)
- Buckalew's Tavern & Restaurant: (609-492-1065)
- Daddy O: (609-494-1300)
- The Gateway: (609-494-1661)
- Nardi's Tavern: (609-492-9538)
FOR YOUR INTEREST
- Seedling Sale: Offered by the Garden Club of LBI: A variety of seedlings, grass, and fertilizer tabs. Call 609-494-5791 or visit www.thegardencluboflbi.com for more details.
- St. Francis Center Community Pool Donations Sought: Send to St. Francis Swimming Pool Fund, 4700 Long Beach Blvd. Brant Beach, NJ 08008.
- Food Donations Needed: The St. Francis Food Pantry is accepting donations of non-perishable foods as well as detergents, soaps, and shampoo.
- Beach Haven Community Arts Program's Commemorative Bricks: Bricks are placed in the paths at Veterans' Bicentennial Park in Beach Haven. Donations are $50 and order forms are available at the Beach Haven Library, borough hall, Uncle Will's Pancake House, or call 609-492-8362.
Do you have a public event on LBI that you would like to post?
Email us at email@example.com.
Have a great week!!
LBI Business Alliance
Greetings from Long Beach Island! I am a full time real estate agent specializing in LBI sales and summer rentals, servicing all of LBI and the surrounding mainland communities. I have earned several ....