LBI Jewish Community Center First Service and more
Courtesy of the LBI Business Alliance
Monday, February 13th
- Friends of the Library Meet: 10am at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). All are welcome.
- LBI Business Alliance Monthly Membership Meeting: 6:30pm at Nardi's 118th Street & Long Beach Blvd., Long Beach Township.
Tuesday, February 14th
- Watercolor Drop-ins for Seniors: Practice your watercolor skills with expert support on hand. Bring your own materials. Call to register 609-494-2480 or visit theoceancountylibrary.org.
- Make Chocolate Covered Pretzels For Your Sweetheart: 3:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). All ages welcome. Drop in.
- Story Hour Ages 5-8: 3:30pm at the Beach Haven Library, Third St. & Beach Ave. (609-492-7081)
Wednesday, February 15th
- Dr. James Still: Black Doctor of the Pines: 10am at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). This illustrated lecture provides an overview of one of the most famous African American Families of Burlington County. Speaker, Joe Laufer, used Dr. Still¹s 1877 autobiography as his guide for this inspirational story. Call to register or visit www.theoceancountylibrary.org.
- Pieceful Shores Quilters Guild Meets: 1pm at the Long Beach Twp. Municipal Bldg. Community Room. 68th St. & Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach. Program is ªBest & Worst Tools & Techniques.º Guests and visiting quilters always welcome. Call 609-607-0991 or 597-4325.
- Craft Club: 6pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Come in and practice your crafting skills! Basic sewing projects and lots more! Ages 10+. Drop in.
Thursday, February 16th
- South Bay Senior Association Meets: 1pm at St. Francis of Assisi Church Hall, 47th St. & Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach. This is offered as an alternative to AARP. Singer Gino Valenti entertains. New members & guests welcome.
Friday, February 17th
- 1st Service in New Building: Jewish Community Center of LBI, 24th St. & Long Beach Blvd., Spray Beach (609-492-4090). The first official Shabbat service in the new synagogue. 7:00pm procession of Torahs from the Condo to the Sanctuary, 7:30pm services. Rabbi Jack, will conduct the services and deliver the sermon ªLooking To The Future.º All are welcome.
- The History of Boating in NJ: 7pm at the Museum of NJ Maritime History, 528 Dock Rd., Beach Haven. New Jersey is - and always has been - a maritime state; Robert O'Brien, President of the NJ Museum of Boating in Pt. Pleasant, and former President of the NJ Historical Society, will give an illustrated presentation of why and how NJ, with its 526 miles of shoreline, started a tradition wherein over 200 boat-building companies have thrived. Light refreshments, donation in lieu of admission fee requested. Museum open all day. Reservations required - Call 609-492-0202.
Saturday, February 18th
- Science Saturday Lecture Series: 11am at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences, 120 Long Beach Boulevard, Loveladies. Mark DeBonis, CPO, United States Coast Guard leads the presentation. Call for more information and registration (609) 494-1241 or visit www.lbifoundation.org.
- 95th Annual Turkey Dinner: 12pm-8pm at the Beach Haven Fire House, Amber Street & Bay Avenue. Proceeds benefit the Beach Haven Volunteer Fire Co. #1. For more information, call 609-492-6007 or 609-548-6979.
Tuesday, February 21st
- Adult Writers Group: 1pm-3pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City. Call to register 609-494-2480 or visit www.theoceancountylibrary.com. All are welcome.
- Storytime and Craft: 3:45pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Registration required. Activity for children of all ages.
- Annual Pancake Supper: 5pm to 6:30pm at Holy Innocents' Church Martin Hall, Amber Street, Beach Haven, NJ. Adults $6 Children (under 10) $3. Public welcome and bring your friends. Tickets at the Church Office 9 AM to 1 PM Monday-Thursday or at the door. Phone 609- 492-7571.
- Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper & Mardi Gras Celebration: 5:00pm-7pm at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 5800 Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach (609) 494-6888. Adults: $6; Age 5-12: $3; Pre-school: $1
- Fat Tuesday Pancake Dinner: 5:30pm-6:30pm at Zion Lutheran Church, 18th Street & Central Avenue, Barnegat Light. Free will donation.
- Fat Tuesday-Mardi Gras Celebration: 6pm-9pm at St. Francis Community Center, 47th St. & Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach. 609-494-8861 or www.stfranciscenterlbi.com. Entertainment, raffle, 50/50, dinner and dancing. $25 per person. Tickets now available at St. Francis Center front desk.
Wednesday, February 22nd
- Book Discussion: 2pm at Beach Haven Library, 3rd St. & Beach Ave. (609-492-7081). The subject is Caleb¹s Crossing by Geraldine Brooks.
- Teen Advisory Board: 6pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). A fun was to participate in the library while earning community service hours. Plan programs and events while making new friends. New members welcome ? Kids in grades 7-12 are invited to come make suggestions for programs, events and more!
- Gaming Club: 7pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Come in and get your game on with board games, cards and Wii games. Ages 10+. Drop in.
Thursday, February 23rd
- Boxes & Bubbles: 10:30am at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Stories, boxes and bubble fun for babies and toddlers. Registration required.
Friday, February 24th
- County Connection Mobile Service: 10am to 4pm at Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City (609-494-2480) Services incl. county IDs, passports, senior services, veterans services, consumer affairs, voter registration and parks & tourism information.
- Southern Regional Cheerleading Benefit: 7pm-10pm at Nardi¹s Tavern, 11801 Long Beach Blvd., Haven Beach. Entertainment by Rock Lobsters, Gift Auction. Tickets $25 ? beer, wine & appetizers. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 609-597-9481 x 2114.
Saturday February 25th
- Benefit for John Kelly: 5pm at High Point Firehouse, West 80th St., Harvey Cedars. UPS driver, John Kelly¹s home sustained extensive damage from a fire in December. $20 donation includes food, beverages, DJ entertainment & prizes. Call for ticket details or to make a donation 856-220-3656 or 609-361-1044.
- Adult Night Out: 7pm at Surflight Theatre, Engleside & Beach Aves., Beach Haven. Our Gang Players hosts ªA Night of Illusion with the Fabulous Fakes, a troupe of female impersonators. Tickets $25 includes an intermission of hors d¹oeuvres and wine. Purchase at www.ourgang.org or call 609-597-0553.
Saturday March 3rd
- ªCelebrate Irish Artsº Day: 11am to 4pm at the Maris Stella Conference Center, Harvey Cedars. Amergael, in association with the Long Beach Island branch of the Ocean County Library, will host this event which will feature entertainment by local and regional singers, dancers and speakers, as well as artwork by local artists. Admission and refreshments are free. More info at www.amergael.org.
ONGOING PROGRAMS, EVENTS
- Barnegat Lighthouse is Open: The #2 tourism destination in the State Of New Jersey is open on weekends!
- Watercolor Drop-ins for Seniors: Second and fourth Tuesdays, Feb. 14 through April. 9:30am-12:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Practice your watercolor skills with expert support on hand. Call to register 609-494-2480 or visit theoceancountylibrary.org.
- Bike Registration Program: to reduce bicycle theft and expedite return of stolen bikes, LBI police departments have started a free program for visitors and residents to register bikes. Call for Information: Beach Haven 492-0505; Harvey Cedars 494-3036; Long Beach Township & Barnegat Light 494-3322; Ship Bottom 494-1518 and at Walters Bicycles during business hours; Surf City 494-8121
- Income Tax Return Assistance: Feb. 1-April 15: St. Francis Center in Brant Beach. 11am-3pm, by appt. only; call 609-494-8861
- ªScience Saturdaysº: For the sixth consecutive winter, the Long Beach Island Foundation of the Arts and Sciences (LBIF) will host free, interactive lectures, which tackle today¹s most pressing and interesting environmental and sustainability issues. Saturdays from Feb. 11th through April 7th, from 11:00 am to 12 noon at the LBIF¹s main building in Loveladies.
- The St. Francis Guild invites all interested in knitting, crochet, quilting, and/or other crafts to participate. Meets Wednesdays from 10am-2pm at the St. Francis Center in Brant Beach. Call Lenore Kane at 609-494-7330 for more information. New Members welcome!!
- Book Discussions: Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City (609-494-2480). 2nd Wed. of each month @ 7:30pm. Check at the circulation desk for current title.
- Fiction Writers Group: Forming in Beach Haven: Meets 2 Thursdays per month from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Call Debi for more information 856-912-1369.
- LBI Woodcarvers Association: Meets 2nd Wednesday of every month at 7:30pm. Call 609-296-5606 for location.
- Classes & Activities Offered: LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences. Classes vary from learning new languages to art mediums and sports lessons. Call 609-494-1241 for more information and registration.
- Surflight Theatre Arts Resource Schools (STARS): 2012 Winter Schedule Runs Jan. 23 - Mar. 16 (8 Weeks) STARS is pleased to bring professional Musical Theatre Training to the Jersey Shore. Classes are taught by professionals from the Surflight Company at the Theatre located at Beach and Engleside Avenues in Beach Haven. PreK - 12th grade. Classes offered include Creative Dynamics, Acting I and II, Happy Feet, Musical Theatre Dance. More information can be found at http://www.surflight.org/STARS.htm.
HEALTH & LIVING WELL ON LBI
- LBI Health Department
- Flu Shots: Offered by Appointment, please call 609-492-1212.
- Shingles Vaccine: Please call 609-492-1212 to speak with a public health nurse to make an appointment or for more information.
- Child & Adolescent Health Programs: Physical exams and immunizations are available for infants and children through age 18 at the LBI Health Department. Call 609-492-1212.
- Adult Health Promotion: LBI Health Department provides blood pressure screening plus health education on diet, medication and risk factors for diabetes, cardiovascular disease and breast, cervical & colon/rectal cancer.
- Beach Haven Borough Hall (492-0111) 10am-11am on the 1st Monday of each month
- Island Branch Ocean County Library, Surf City (494-3064) 11am-12pm on the 1st Tuesday of each month
- Harvey Cedars Police Dept. (494-2843) 9:30am-10:30am on the 3rd Tuesday of each month
- Barnegat Light Borough Hall (494-9196) 11am-12pm on the 3rd Tuesday of each month
- LBI Health Dept. (361-1000 or 492-1212) 10am-11am on the 2nd & 4th Wednesday of each month
- St. Francis Senior Services: Outreach workers are available to assist with a variety of senior needs. Call 609-294-1197 for more information.
WORSHIP ON LBI
- Grace Calvary Church in Ship Bottom - 609-494-7777
- Holy Innocents' Episcopal Church in Beach Haven - 609-492-7571 or 609-492-2108
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Brant Beach - 609-494-6888
- Island Baptist Church in Beach Haven - 609-492-7584
- Jewish Community Center of Long Beach Island - 609-492-4090 Please Note: JCC Shabbat Services are Friday evening at 7:30 PM at St. Thomas of Villanova Church in Surf City while the New Synagogue is being built.
- Kynett United Methodist Church of Beach Haven - 609-492-0421
- St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Brant Beach - 609-494-8813
- St. Peter's at the Light Episcopal Church in Barnegat Light - 609-494-2398
- Terrace United Methodist Church in Beach Haven Terrace - 609-492-9843
- Zion Lutheran Church in Barnegat Light - 609-494-8676
- Fat Tuesday Pancake Dinner, Feb. 21st 5:30pm-6:30pm. Free will donation.
- Ash Wednesday Worship Service, Feb. 22nd at 7pm
- Lenten Prayer and Soup Dinners: Wednesdays in Lent beginning February 29th at 5:30pm.
WEEKLY ENTERTAINMENT & PERFORMANCES
- Bayberry Inn: (609-494-8848)
- Buckalew's Tavern & Restaurant: (609-492-1065)
- Daddy O: (609-494-1300)
- The Gateway: (609-494-1661)
- Nardi's Tavern: (609-492-9538)
FOR YOUR INTEREST
- Seedling Sale: Offered by the Garden Club of LBI: A variety of seedlings, grass, and fertilizer tabs. Call 609-494-5791 or visit www.thegardencluboflbi.com for more details.
- St. Francis Center Community Pool Donations Sought: Send to St. Francis Swimming Pool Fund, 4700 Long Beach Blvd. Brant Beach, NJ 08008.
- Food Donations Needed: The St. Francis Food Pantry is accepting donations of non-perishable foods as well as detergents, soaps, and shampoo
- Beach Haven Community Arts Program's Commemorative Bricks: Bricks are placed in the paths at Veterans' Bicentennial Park in Beach Haven. Donations are $50 and order forms are available at the Beach Haven Library, borough hall, Uncle Will's Pancake House, or call 609-492-8362.
Greetings from Long Beach Island! I am a full time real estate agent specializing in LBI sales and summer rentals, servicing all of LBI and the surrounding mainland communities. I have earned several ....