When it’s time to clean, have your trusty green cleaner at the ready — baking soda, vinegar, castile soap — plus another ultra-cheap gem: hydrogen peroxide. You can use it anywhere, and can’t beat the price: A 16-oz. bottle only costs a buck.
Here are 10 ways you can use that ubiquitous brown bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide to your home’s advantage:
In your kitchen
1. Clean your cutting board and countertop. Hydrogen peroxide bubbles away any nasties left after preparing meat or fish for dinner. Add hydrogen peroxide to an opaque spray bottle — exposure to light kills its effectiveness — and spray on your surfaces. Let everything bubble for a few minutes, then scrub and rinse clean.
2. Wipe out your refrigerator and dishwasher. Because it’s non-toxic, hydrogen peroxide is great for cleaning places that store food and dishes. Just spray the appliance outside and in, let the solution sit for a few minutes, then wipe clean.
3. Clean your sponges. Soak them for 10 minutes in a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and warm water in a shallow dish. Rinse the sponges thoroughly afterward.
4. Remove baked-on crud from pots and pans. Combine hydrogen peroxide with enough baking soda to make a paste, then rub onto the dirty pan and let it sit for a while. Come back later with a scrubby sponge and some warm water, and the baked-on stains will lift right off.
In your bathroom
5. Whiten bathtub grout. If excess moisture has left your tub grout dingy, first dry the tub thoroughly, then spray it liberally with hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit — it may bubble slightly — for a little while, then come back and scrub the grout with an old toothbrush. You may have to repeat the process a few times, depending on how much mildew you have, but eventually your grout will be white again.
6. Clean the toilet bowl. Pour half a cup of hydrogen peroxide into the toilet bowl, let stand for 20 minutes, then scrub clean.
In your laundry room
7. Remove stains from clothing, curtains, and tablecloths. Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a pre-treater for stains — just soak the stain for a little while in 3% hydrogen peroxide before tossing into the laundry. You can also add a cup of peroxide to a regular load of whites to boost brightness. It’s a green alternative to bleach, and works just as well.
Anywhere in your house
8. Brighten dingy floors. Combine half a cup of hydrogen peroxide with one gallon of hot water, then go to town on your flooring. Because it’s so mild, it’s safe for any floor type, and there’s no need to rinse.
9. Clean kids’ toys and play areas. Hydrogen peroxide is a safe cleaner to use around kids, or anyone with respiratory problems, because it’s not a lung irritant. Fill an opaque spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide and spray toys, toy boxes, doorknobs, and anything else your kids touch on a regular basis. You could also soak a rag in peroxide to make a wipe.
10. Help out your plants. To ward off fungus, add a little hydrogen peroxide to your spray bottle the next time you’re spritzing plants. Use this helpful chart to determine the ratio of hydrogen peroxide to water for your types of plants.
Author:Jim Mazzerina Phone: 609-618-7683 Dated: July 1st 2012 Views: 3,605 About Jim: ABR, E-Pro, SRES
Jim is originally from north jersey - the Totowa-Little Falls-Paterson area. He...
Chat with us now!
A real live chat operator is online now! We can immediately get your questions answered or make sure we get it to an agent who can.
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
About Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Select Realty
Our unique tools allow you to Search All Homes and Real Estate for sale in Northern VA., and give you more when looking for Homes and Real Estate For Sale in Fredericksburg, Stafford, Dumfries, and all surrounding areas in Northern Virginia. Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Select Realty is your go-to-source for more data, more properties, and more neighborhood information. Search ALL Fredericksburg VA homes for sale, Stafford and Dumfries VA homes for sale as well as all other surrounding communities in Northern VA. Our Online Home Search features are some of the most powerful on the web and are continuously updated to ensure the most accurate search results and the most current pricing, photos and property information available. The more information you have at your fingertips, the more confident you'll be that it's the right home for you.
"David Brewer and his team were excellent in helping me negotiate through the home-buying process from start to finish. He was there for me in every way. I would not hesitate to request his services again, and would whole-heartily recommend the David Brewer Team to anyone looking for an honest, hard-working, knowledgeable and outstanding realty group."